Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Apple Flips

After an exhilarating Zumba work out (I've been at is for 3 weeks now.. yay me!)  I was perusing the aisles of Walmart looking for "portable healthy snacks".. and happened down the snack cake aisle. Now any other dieter would be using every ounce of spare energy they have left to keep from putting ding dongs, Ho-ho's , Snowballs, Twinkies, or Hostess cupcakes in their carts....but I.... I was cool.. floating down the aisle looking at all of the brightly colored  boxes with pictures of cartoon characters and festively colored snack cakes.. And cool collected  Beanie was not in the LEAST bit phased.. UNTIL  I SAW THESE...
Little Debbie  Apple Flips
 I ALMOST FAINTED!.. You would have thought that there were a box of $100 bills sitting on the shelf and nobody could see them but me! I gasped..grabbed two boxes.. and giddily laughed  because I couldn't believe my luck!
OK... now I know you are thinking.. what is the difference between  every other snack cake in the world.. and Apple Flips. Well ...
1. Apple flips are a cookie.. and not a cake. :). 
2. Apparently  Little Debbie stopped making  Apple Flips years ago.. because one day I woke up with a craving for one of these (out of the blue.. because I hadn't had one since  Kindergarten).. searched HI, LOW.. and even on the internet and could not find them! 
3. Other snack cakes or snack cookies are always filled with some type of disgusting cream! 
4.  Apple Flips remind me of my youth!..  My  Miss Piggy lunch box, Recess, Kick ball, warm days wearing skirts with shorts underneath,  going to grandma's after school.. and so much more!

 Yes... all that from a Cookie!

Of course I was too anxious to wait until I got home to try them.. and had one right in  the car..  and amazingly.. they tasted the SAME!!! The same soft chewy slightly oat-y cinnamon-y  cookie.. with an sweet apple cinnamon center... Yes.. it was Heaven!  
 Do you Blurbettes have a favorite nostalgic treat?

2 comments:

  1. You know? I really cant think of a treat that makes me relive old memories and stuff. Now sounds on the other hand.....Every time I put a quarter in this piggy bank type change collector at work it reminds me of.......I DONT KNOW!!!!!!!!! It's driving me crazy! Every time I hear the soft ping of my coin hitting the pile inside the container I'm overcome with a feeling of being 12 again. But I don't know why! What did I put money in when I was young!? And where was it!? It's going to drive me insane I tell you!.........Sorry, had a moment....I'm happy you found your long last fruit filled cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha did not realize they meant THAT much lol. Now I'm mad I did not try one although now reading ur post u probably would have bit my head off if I asked! Lol I guess my fond child hood treat would be Dairy Belle! Its seasonal so the anticipation in its self is awesome lol. But now that. I start to think I wonder if the icecream was just that awesome or if the memories of us going there as a family after a movie or dinner is what made it AWESOME... the other day my daddy took me and kelvin there..and as we stood in a long line with bigger grins on our face then the 5 year olds behind us we reminisced and wondered if the ice cream was really that good..when they finally gave us our order and we took our first bite...I can honeslty say it was BOTH! Lol happy lil life flashing before our eyes as the cold creamy sugary goodness melted in our mouths hahaha awww to be a child again!

    ReplyDelete