Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I Believe I Can Fly!

Ok, so I don't really think I can fly, but when I made these wings for the Christmas play I was definitely soaring!

 Aren't they awesome! I made these wings with two sheets of poster board, gift wrap tissue, Scotch tape, and tulle. I created other props for the Christmas play but  these wings were definitely the best. I know I know you are dying to know how these awesome wings were made. And I wouldn't leave my Blurbettes hanging so here goes....

Start out buy drawing and cutting out the wing shape from the poster board. Then use the tulle to tie the wings together and create straps to wear the wings. You now have your base.

 To create the feathers cut 5-6 inch strips of layered tissue paper.  Next, take the strips and create a semi-scalloped edge(more pointy than round)  and cut vertical strips in between each scallop (being careful not to cut all the way through the strip, about 1.5 inch from the top).

 Now starting at the bottom of the wing tape your strips of feathers on on top of the other until you have reached the top of your wing. The closer your strips are the fuller and fluffier your wings will be.

 And now your ready to fly! (well at least be one awesome play angel) 

 This took probably about and hour and cost about $3. Much cheaper and more fun than buying wings!

Oh! Can't forget ...special thanks to my wing model Cryssy Jay.. An Angel  herself!

 Later Blurbettes!

No comments:

Post a Comment